13 April to 19 April
Author of the cover photo: Barbara Kožar, Source: www.slovenia.info
Welcome to the European Girls’ Mathematical Olympiad EGMO 2023 in Portorož, Slovenia!
The European Girls’ Mathematical Olympiad (EGMO) is an international competition in mathematics, which addresses female high school students whose commitment to mathematics goes beyond the usual school curriculum. To participate at the EGMO, the students have to qualify at the respective national competition. Together with their advisors the students form the respective national delegation.
The EGMO is held since 2012, each year in a different country. The 12th EGMO will take place in Slovenia, from 13 April to 19 April 2023, hosted by the Society of Mathematicians, Physicists, and Astronomers of Slovenia (DMFA Slovenije). The preparations for the event are being held under honorary patronage of the President of the Republic of Slovenia Borut Pahor. We expect to host 60 countries (European and non-European), for a total of about 240 contestants. We have rich experiences: our team has been participating in the EGMO since 2013 and it will be our third mathematical international competition (we hosted IMO 2006 and MEMO 2015).
The EGMO promotes young scientists, increases the proportion of female students in IMO teams, supports the social, cultural and interdisciplinary exchange between teenagers from all over the world.
Therefore, in the beauty of our green country with a bit of the seaside, we hope that our enthusiasm for this event and the support of our partner organizations will make EGMO 2023 memorable.
- EGMO 2023 has come to an endThe closing ceremony, held in the Avditorij Portorož, marked the beginning of the end of this year’s EGMO. This was the time to praise all our participants for their effort, uniqueness, and creativity. We at EGMO […]
- The results are inThe essential part of EGMO 2023 was held on Saturday and Sunday, the problem-solving days. On each of the competition days the contestants were facing 3 problems and had four and a half hours to write […]
- Roundtable: Successful womenOn Monday, 17th April 2023, we were delighted to listen to successful scientists and their inspiring stories. The host of the roundtable discussion, Maja Ratej, a radio journalist, brought together a mathematician working at University of […]
- EGMO 2023 is officially openToday’s opening ceremony marks the start of the European Girls’ Mathematical Olympiad. This year 214 female competitors and 54 countries are participating, and we are happy to notice that more countries from outside of Europe are […]
- Newsletter #3: Logistics
- Newsletter #2: Leisure activities