Monday, 17 April
The Ljubljana Old Town and WOOP!
We will visit Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia. According to one of the many etymological explanations, its name is derived from the word ‘ljubljena’, meaning ‘loved’.
While walking through the Old Town, we will cross the Triple Bridge and see the Franciscan Church of the Annunciation located on the Prešeren Square. The name of the square comes from France Prešeren, Slovenia’s greatest poet, whose monument stands at the centre of the square. Prešeren’s Zdravljica is the Slovenian national anthem. The lyrics in English translation by Janko Lavrin, are:
God’s blessing on all nations,
Who long and work for that bright day,
When o’er earth’s habitations
No war, no strife shall hold its sway;
Who long to see
That all men free
No more shall foes, but neighbours be.
Next, we will visit the Town Hall and take the funicular to access the Ljubljana Castle, which offers a magnificent view of the city.
We will spend the afternoon having fun in the WOOP! Arena, an indoor entertainment centre, where you will be able to participate in one of the five activities:
If you don’t enjoy such activities, you can simply go shopping at the shopping centre nearby. 😃
Tuesday, 18 April
Postojna Cave is said to be an underground paradise of stalagmites and stalactites. With its 24 km of passages, halls and magnificent caverns, it is one of the most diverse cave systems in the world. On your tour you will see the most beautiful stalagmite in Postojna Cave, and you will have the opportunity to come face to face with a type of cave salamander known as the olm and popularly referred to as the human fish or baby dragon.
Another special feature of Postojna Cave is that it is the only cave in the world with its own two-track railway.
The temperature in the cave ranges from 8°C to 10°C, so you are advised to dress warmly.
- L. 2022, 6 idej kaj z otroki početi 8. februarja in kako jim približati Prešerna, N1 SLO, accessed on 6 February 2023, <https://n1info.si/magazin/6-idej-kaj-z-otroki-poceti-8-februarja-in-kako-jim-priblizati-preserna/>
- City of Ljubljana n. d., About Ljubljana, accessed on 27 January 2023, <https://www.ljubljana.si/en/about-ljubljana/>
- org n. d., All you need to know to visit the Ljubljana Town Hall, TravelSlovenia.org. All you need to know to visit Slovenia, accessed on 7 February 2023, <https://travelslovenia.org/ljubljana-town-hall/>
- org n. d., All you need to know to visit Triple Bridge in Ljubljana, TravelSlovenia.org. All you need to know to visit Slovenia, accessed on 7 February 2023, <https://travelslovenia.org/triple-bridge-ljubljana/>
- Baby dragon’s secret stories, Park Postojnska jama, accessed on 7 February 2023, <https://www.postojnska-jama.eu/en/wonderland-stories/baby-dragons-secret-stories/>
- Franciscan Church of the Annunciation 2022, In your pocket ESSENTIAL CITY GUIDES, accessed on 7 February 2023, <https://www.inyourpocket.com/ljubljana/franciscan-church-of-the-annunciation_37965v>
- Ljubljana castle 2023, In your pocket ESSENTIAL CITY GUIDES, accessed on 6 February 2023, <https://www.inyourpocket.com/ljubljana/ljubljana-castle_37954v>
- Government Communication Office, National Symbols, Republic of Slovenia GOV.SI, accessed on 6 February 2023, <https://www.gov.si/en/topics/national-symbols/>
- Zavod znanje Postojna, Postojna Cave, accessed on 6 February 2023, <https://www.visit-postojna.si/en/what-to-see/postojna-cave-park/postojna-cave>
- Postojna Cave, Tripadvisor LLC, accessed on 6 February 2023, <https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g274878-d277348-Reviews-Postojna_Cave-Postojna_Inner_Carniola_Region.html>
- Postojna Cave and Predjama Castle, Monday Feelings, accessed on 6 February 2023, <https://www.mondayfeelings.com/postojna-cave-in-slovenia/>
- Postojna Cave & Predjama Castle from Koper, Tripadvisor LLC, accessed on 6 February 2023, <https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g312722-d12471484-Postojna_Cave_Predjama_Castle_from_Koper-Koper_Slovenian_Istria_Slovenian_Littoral.html>